Saturday, April 26, 2008

Hello Summer and hello Jesus

I arrived at home tonight at around 3:30 and honestly the entire time I was driving home I couldn't comprehend that I was spending the summer at home. In fact, this would be the first summer I had spent at home since high school. I can't lie, I was worried at that idea and wasn't sure why it was I sensed God was leading me in this direction. I mean wouldn't it be easier to not get back into the "home life", after all I'm not planning on moving home after graduation? I was really praying about this during my Spring semester. Praying that God would reveal to me the need for ministry and remind me of why I'm going into it, praying that God would actually use my gifts and abilities that I haven't put to use in any practicum or internship. So often I can become blind to the needs outside of the church when I am engulfed within its walls and so often I feel like I'm checking off things others would have me to do within the realm of ministry...my friends, this is no way to live life.
At 5:00 my dad and I met up with one of my old high school friends...well actually we go all the way back to the 6th grade. We went to see a softball tournament at the OSU recreation fields that I had played on so many times while growing up. As I walked up to the fields I began to catch conversations and see people that were entirely consumed in the sport. Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong about loving sports, but I began to hear stories from those around me filled with anger at certain kids' performances on the field and filled with a lustful desire to win, no matter what the cost...welcome to my high school athletic experience.
I was sitting on the bleachers and behind me parents were talking about throwing a party, one in which they accidentally invited new friends that they didn't know were "church people" and felt embarrassed afterwards when they showed up to the party. Now I'm not sure what went on at this party but it didn't sound like it was good. It's amazing to hear that those that don't know the Truth can sense guilt, this never stops filling me with awe. My old high school friend turned to me to tell me about how another friend of ours continues to invite her to church and youth group with other friends, but she won't go with her because they are the type of people that are one way at church and then go and get trashed the next night. It's amazing how my friend can sense that this isn't the way it's supposed to be if you proclaim to be a Christian and professes that she isn't ready to "dedicate everything to God yet".
Lastly as we pulled up into our driveway my dad mentioned for the second time tonight that he hadn't seen our neighbor in 4 days. He then told me that my mom saw him the other day for a second and asked where he'd been, only to hear that he'd been at his mothers house. That's it, he didn't state anything else and his truck isn't in the driveway again tonight. Could his marriage of 20 something years be falling apart? So tonight I pray for the old high school friend, I pray for the women that sat behind me in the bleachers and I pray for the marriage of my neighbors. Surely God has been faithful and revealed the need for someone to minister to these people...someone that isn't contained in the church walls this summer. Come Lord Jesus, Come.

This experience reminds me parts of Psalm 92 that I read today, "It is good to proclaim your unfailing love in the morning, your faithfulness in the evening." "You thrill me, Lord, with all you have done for me."

No comments: